Skip to main content

Inspiration

Like the cool breeze she comes to lend a hand every morning, she bathes in moderate human values yet she is the supporter of our needs, bathed in wisdom and magnanimity, she is my maid. She smiles and advises me to pull up a thin upper lip when my haughty neighbour passes by me without so much as a cordial look...she says..." what has come to the world didi..? neighbours here fail to recognise each other"? I too wonder at her perseverance and worldly wisdom.

Inspirational blood pumped in my viens, my heart throbbed like the dead bat's wings still in darkness, I set about to think like she did, with care and wartmth, with wisdom and the feeling of giving...and at awe when she recited the saraswati vandana with clarity and frequency that puts my own skill to shame and yet her name is Mehmuda....There are goose bumps on my arms when i heared her recite the Gayatri mantra yet her name is mehmuda and her mother's name is Nafisa.

Her mother does not allow her to dance in the ganapati utsav and how she craved to be discovered, but her cruel mother instead married her off to a drunkard whom she has borne a child. Oh! how ...how she wishes now, standing with the soap-studded scrubber in hand that if she had been given a chance to show her talent to the world! she would have escaped the beatings of her husband! lived on her own terms and done something different!! she wishes she hadnt been so unlucky!!

All of 24 years and the wisdom of the world reflected in her wish to educate her son in an "English medium" school...'didi, teach me English, I will bring a notebook every day, ' she quipped and surprised me further. I looked at her with new -found fondness. Looked above to thank god and aspired for more such prowess and knowledgeable human minds.

I promised myself to take care of Mehmuda's wishes and fulfill them as my own. She lends a hand in washing utensils but she is the butterfly I know in the garden of my dreams fluttering in a corner to be discovered. Our dreams are nothing but mere distant truth for everyone who waits for an opportunity to fly...if only the moment arrives for Mehmuda.

The morning when when she ran home to appease her bedraggled husband, I promised myself again to wake up to the need to fulfill the dreams of the fluttering butterfly that has been my inspiration to strive on and discover more Mehmudas in this world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No one stole Mamma's laptop

Times have come to naught it would seem! This apathy factor of everyone around us― we are just not bothered about others….whether someone lies bleeding on the road or a robber runs away with stuff or someone guns down a person in broad day light….what are we doing as spectators and why aren’t we moved enough? Why? Why? I have donned the task of a ‘cop’ going around the sultry summer sun in the busy market place, questioning onlookers or even hawkers, trying to find out who stole my laptop….. The day was full of activities...the housemaid didn't turn up on time so I set about completing my household chores trying to meet the deadline. Like an automaton I managed to complete washing, swabbing and cleaning on time. As soon as I procured the car keys from inside the drawers, hung my laptop around my shoulders and my lunch box and went down the steps two at a time to my car...it was already 10 AM and I had to be in office by 11! I decided to call office to inform that I would be in lat...

The Dhauladhar Ranges

A journey that etches in mind for ever... As we approached the Ranjit Sagar dam over the river Ravi in the Himachal Punjab border...I was not prepared for the breathtaking view that was to mesmerize me out of my wits...they were the Pirpanjal ranges that divide the Himachal from the Kashmir valley beautifully magnificent in their snow capped glory with the sun reflecting of the rays and making it golden as if to tell us that a land of dreams awaits us there in the horizon.. And as our SUV approaches and climbs further on to those ominous mountains, we see the Dhauladhar ranges at a height more than 6000metres while we are at height of 1830 meters above sea level. Still the climb was one helluva experience...this is the road to the Himalayan ranges.... Our ultimate destination was the small picturesque hamlet of Mcleodganj nestled deep inside these valleys where the first signs of civilization is the holy town of Dhramsala where the Lamas reside...Here's a glimpse...

I find greatness in the tree that grows against all odds

"Because we all spring From different trees Doesn’t mean We are not created equally I find greatness in the tree That grows against all odds It blossoms in darkness And gives birth to promising pods" These striking lines like the scenic locale of the SOS village, Shillong is the evocative poem written intrepidly by Gustav, a volunteer from Sweden on the red notice board at the entrance of the counselor’s office. This sums up the lives of the 124 children blossoming here into talented young individuals; away from the nearness of their innate homes and parents. The SOS villages were set up during the World War II in 1949 to provide homes to thousands of children rendered homeless all over the world by Dr. Hermann Geimner, a Swiss philanthropist. They have 34 such villages in India too. Headquartered in Vienna, Save Our Souls villages possess an ambience and the environment of the disciplined, systematic coordination of its headquarters. These villages are lesser known for their...